Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day 15 – Craters to Wood River Campground, Sawtooths Scenic Hwy

Day 15 – Craters to Wood River Campground, Sawtooths Scenic Hwy
78.8 miles, 5:37, 13.6 avg

Nice morning in the Craters, more shade from my lovely Limber pine. Which, I learned from the program last night, is probably a couple thousand years old. Can that be right?

lava_tent
My ancient Limber pine

Anyway, very fun downhill from the campground, went on forever. Payback for coming in yesterday! Caught up with the two touristas from the camp ground. I thought they were just day trippers because of their light loads, but they actually rode in from Hailey. Nate and Teresa, from Boise, were doing an over-nighter in preparation for Nate doing a Portland to SF tour in September. He had no panniers because they hadn’t come in yet. We all chatted the whole way to Bellevue. I hipped him to Tour Tales, he hipped me to the bike path that runs all the way into and past Ketchum. Also learned that two other touristas went through the Monument yesterday on their way to Rhode Island. Can’t believe I missed them! Did some shopping in Ketchum, the Beverly Hills of Idaho, and went on into the Sawtooth Rec. Area. Found a nice camp ground a few miles in. Will go over Galena Pass into Stanley tomorrow to meet Miss Elizabeth, if she ever leaves home…

No comments:

Post a Comment