Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day 14 – Blackfoot to Craters of the Moon

Day 14 – Blackfoot to Craters of the Moon
82.6 miles, 6:28, 12.7 avg

lava_bike
A good day until the end. Got a pretty early start to beat some heat. Half the way to Arco it was actually cloudy and there was a thunderstorm. Big drops and some thunder near the Idaho National Laboratory.

moon_sign
Middle of nowhere, ID

moon_flag
Close-up of my "shield"

Arco was clear, but not too hot. Overall, it was a good desert crossing. Luckily for me, Arco was celebrating its Atomic Days, July 17, 1955, when they first turned on the nuke juice to power the city. There was a booth advertising free radiation testing for former employees of the reactor. Lots of food and good times to be had, the whole town was there. A classic car show, dunk tank, etc. For me, an Atomic Burger from Pickles. I also recreated the famous Arco photo from Tour ’97, not as exciting with no people in it, though.

arco
Arco photo 2007. Minus a tree.

I left town with a hopefully semi-easy 18 miles to Craters. Yeah right. The first half was good, mostly down and very little wind. Then, as usual, I started going up and then the headwind kicked in. The climb up to the park was bigger than I had anticipated and I guess the Atomic Burger wasn’t enough food, because I quickly fell apart. A couple of mandatory rest stops and some fig newtons later, and I arrived at the Visitors Center where I learned it was 100°. Got some good info and a 7UP.

lava
My "backyard" at Craters camp


Campground is OK, right amongst the lava flows. I’ll check out the Ranger Program tonight.

Wildlife today:

  • 5 or 6 pronghorn
  • Calling burrowing owl
  • Clark’s Nutcracker
craters
Cinder cones on the way to Arco


storm
Storm's edge on way to Arco

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a very helpful post. It was very informative and interesting post. I would keep your post in mind when I go to the Craters next year. I love the pictures as well.
    I am working on a new website at http://www.recreationparks.net and have a park page specifically about Craters of the Moon. You can find it here http://www.recreationparks.net/ID/blaine/craters-of-the-moon-national-preserve-bear-park-west. I'd love to get feedback from you and your readers about the site, ideas for what regional information to add, etc. I'm hoping that many people will vote on the activities at this and nearby parks, since that information will let me setup a search to help people find activities that interest them, and lead people to discover new public parks

    ReplyDelete